2.16.2006

The State of Utah vs. well.....my family I guess

So as amyone who has read my profile knows, I live in Utah. I don't know how much longer I'm going to live in Utah basically because I don't want to live in a state that punishes people, men expecially, when marriages don't work out.

Now, please keep in mind as you read this that I am a divorced woman who spent almost eleven years as a single parent. This will put everything I say into perspective.

As I mentioned before, Russ is being sued by the State of Utah, on behalf of his ex-wife, for a child support issue. The first problem is an outrageous amount of back child support, almost $3,000, that his ex claims he never paid. Well, he did pay it, but he paid it in cash and when she got pissed off at him for dating a younger woman, she took him to ORS and said he hadn't paid her anything in over a year. This is NOT what she told Russ happened you understand...she told Russ that the state told her that any money he had given her prior to her coming into their office was considered a "gift" and that they HAD to go after him for back child support.....this is a LIE. Now he has to hunt and find documentation of payments that are over three and a half years old. Fun!

The second problem is that the Office of Recovery Services has known for over a year that Russ has been unemployed, or underemployed and have flat out refused to reduce his child support to something manageable so he could actually make the payments, thereby avoiding this whole mess. He has asked FOUR times in the last year for a reveiw and each time has been told he needs an attorney to do so....

Apparently the State of Utah doesn't feel that their own agencies should follow the Utah civil code guidelines for low income parents. What a double standard.

And just in case you think I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.....Russ is not the only man having this problem. I won't name names, but I know of several men being drug through the rack by the state, simply because they chose to end unhappy relationships.

It amounts to indentured servitude.

I think men, and women, should be responsible for the children they create. I also believe that it should be done in such a way that it doesn't cripple one person for the rest of their lives.

Oh....did I mention that the State takes the attitude that the lazy fat cow of an ex is "entitled" (their word, not mine) to stay home with her children? Meaning that she shouldn't have to work if she doesn't want to. How back asswards is that? Again, if you chose to be the custodial parent, don't you think the burden of supporting those kids is YOURS?

GET A JOB!

( Side note: Russ has, after a LONG search , finally found employment....YEAH!!! He's still underemployed, but at least it's a job!)

Now for the disclaimer.....I realize that some people will be pissed off that I feel this way. Too bad! I already know that there are actually men ( and women) that never pay a dime....they should be taken to task for that. Russ is not one of those men....in the last three years he has paid with every paycheck, until he no longer had a paycheck to pay with. Clear???

End of rant.......( I seem to be doing that a lot lately...ranting I mean.....think it's the hormones?)

No comments: