2.01.2007

And we needed Harvard to tell us this?

A new study that was done by Harvard and McGill Universities shows that US companies are not family friendly. I have one thing to say to that: DUH!!!!

Anyone that has family and has worked ANYWHERE in this country knows that. There are a few companies that have taken it upon themselves to provide a more family friendly environment, but it's not required by law. We ranked right down there with countries like Swaziland and Liberia.

With two children, I can say that I have actually had to choose between my kids and my job on more than one occassion. When I was a single parent, it was worse. Companies expect that you will treat your job like it is the only really important thing in your life. "Madatory" overtime? No paid sick leave? Not allowing women breaks in order to breast feed?

My husband is a Type 1 diabetic. He has to get a note from his doctor stating that due to his condition he is likely to have to urinate more frequently than other employees. (No, I did not make that up.) Without that note, he faces being written up for excessive time away from the job floor.

This study is generating a lot of talk on Capital Hill where the debate is on about scaling back protections like the Family and Medical Leave Act. Well great. Because it isn't hard enough to support a family as it is.

I know the argument that comes right behind this one: "If you don't want to deal with the reality, don't have children." Should that really be the only choice? Men and women have the right to both, a career that they do well in and a family that they can be proud of. It's insane that people have to choose between the two.

4 comments:

knightjorge said...

I'm not going to choose. I want a family and when my time comes if I have to quit my job to make that happen I will. Hopefully I'll be in a situation where I can be a stay at home mommy but if that doesn't happen I'll find a job that will be flexible to the fact that I have a family and shit happens. I realize that children require that I make sacrafices but I'm not going to sacrafice my kids to have a job. I'll work with it, but I won't give it up.

Suzanne said...

It is totally insane the way work dominates our lives here. And I am still picking my jaw up from the floor that your spouse had to get that letter. Isn't that common sense? And what if he just drank a lot of water (like I do) and had to pee a lot? Would he get fired? People scare me. A lot.

knightjorge said...

I just wanted to say....

Look how popular you are lately? I'm a little jealous. You have all kinds of cool people commenting and everything now. I'm still sitting at like 5 readers and they all know me personally. lol

Good for you! I'm glad that people are hearing what you say. It deserves to be heard.

I like the new look, too!

Serena Woodward said...

You would think it was common sense, but apparently not. Hell, if you work at the Discover Card call center, you actually have to ASK permission to go to the bathroom and if you go to often, they DOCK YOUR PAY!

It's like working in a sweat shop.