1.28.2006

The DUI Hotline??? No, seriously...

I went out tonight with Stephanie (more on that later) and we were out driving around, killing time between movies. We were grooving to some great tunes on the radio when all of a sudden a commercial comes on. Now I generally ignore commercials, they tend to be stupid and not worth the effort required to listen to them, but this commercial caught my attention.

"Did you know that in the State of Utah......" Blah, Blah, Blah...this guy is spouting facts about Utah DUI laws, then he starts in on how this law firm will help you beat a DUI charge. It was hideous! I was in shock. I mean come ON!!!!

DUI is one of the only crimes I can think of which is TOTALLY preventable. If you pick up an alcoholic beverage.....DON"T DRIVE!!!!! How hard is this concept for people to grasp. And I don't even want to hear the, " There was no other way to get home!" argument. When you go out, and you know you're going to be drinking, you make a plan.....to take a cab, to have a DD, to call a friend....something, but you DO NOT drink and drive.

As far as I'm concerned the only question the judge should ask is, "Did you know it was illegal to drink and drive?" And then the person should get sentenced. People say that one drink shouldn't be considered drinking and driving, but then where do you draw the line? Three drinks? Five drinks? People die needlesly every year because people who drink are to stupid, to stubborn or to proud to find another way home.

Adequate defense? Yes, I think people are always entitled to it. Getting people off for doing something they should have to take responsibility for? Inexcusable. It saddens me to think that this is where our society is standing. Do we really want to allow people to get off because they weren't "that drunk"? It makes me sick just thinking of the possibilities.

I dropped this law firm a message tonight, letting them know that I think their ad is tasteless. I would hope that anyone else who lives in the Salt Lake Valley area and hear's the ad will do the same.

All right, I'm done ranting now........

2 comments:

Lord Aerthos Pendragon said...

Very understandable, your rant. Enough so that I honestly have nothing to add to it, I agree completely with everything you said.

knightjorge said...

You'd be a total dillhole to not agree with what she said. (Dillhole is almost as fantastic a word as asshat, by the way.)

I wrote on that worthless DUI hotline myself. Check it out.

http://jorgelives.blogspot.com/2005/12/dui-hotline.html
and
http://jorgelives.blogspot.com/2006/01/dui-hotline-continued.html

Don't forget to read the comments. Funny stuff!!

Yeah, that pretty much says it all.